Marine Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the study of maintenance, production, innovation, development and designing of various sorts of equipment used in sea and on board of ships and boats. Marine engineers also focus on the production and development of several internal systems of vessels that commute in sea.
If you plan to do marine engineering in India, then you will be expected to study a combination of engineering design and control technology, mechanical engineering and electrical engineering.
Here are 5 compelling reasons for you to study marine engineering:
- You Are Fascinated by Ships- Some people have a great fascination for ships and therefore marine engineering is the right career choice for them. Marine engineering colleges will teach you how to design systems that make the ships move such as underwater submersibles, propulsion engines, offshore platforms and mechanical systems.
- It Has a Lot of Scope in Present and Future- Marine engineers are quite in demand as the use of ships is essential for carrying out the import and export within and outside our country. Most of the transportation takes place for transporting oil from one part to another and therefore cargo ships are the ones that are mostly in use. Any technical glitch can cause a huge loss to life, resources and capital. Thus, marine engineers are required to overlook the procedure and make sure that the ship works in proper condition.
- It Will Put Many Skills to Practice- If you start studying marine engineering, then various concepts and skills will be put to practice. For example, you will have to be strong in Physics and Chemistry and know Maths well. You must also have a keen interest in maritime technology and put your IT skills into test for using software like AutoCAD. In addition to this, you will be able to improve several skills like analytical skills, time management, communication skills, strong numeracy skills, practical skills and complex problem solving skills.
- Vast Knowledge- The field of marine engineering will endow a vast amount of knowledge on you. You will have all the information about the structures that are used for offshore and coastal areas, how the moored and diving systems operate, fluid mechanics and marine structure. You will also have a thorough analysis about wave mechanics, naval architecture, propulsion systems and principles of engineering analysis.
- Great Placement- If you master the technicalities that will be taught to you, you can get yourself placed in coveted brands like ExxonMobil and Chevron. You can plan to go for research also and you will also be entitled to apply for several internships. The job profiles you will be getting are sales engineer, naval combat engineer, marine operations manager, shipyard project engineer, submarine engineer, hydrographic engineer, marine equipment specialist and port engineer.
Marine Engineering is a booming branch of engineering and has a lot future prospects that offer a great package along with great experience.